Saturday, June 27, 2015

Digital Citizenship

My school is one to one with chromebooks so digital citizenship is very is something that should really get more attention at Lockport. I do not think there is enough digital citizenship training. Students have one class their freshman year that spends about a month on digital citizenship and that is about it. We are very new to the whole one to one situation so I think this may be the reason as we have not really had to worry about students having internet access at their fingertips at any time during school. Now that we are one to one we need to get on top of this.
It is difficult to teach digital citizenship in my class because I am on a relatively tight schedule with the content I have to teach but I do what I can. First of all there a few videos I can show and then discuss with my students.
These two videos are a good introduction to digital citizenship. After watching the videos I can discuss what digital citizenship means to them. One nice thing that we have is an application called hapara which enables teachers to view what students are doing on their chromebooks when they are on the schools network. This helps out because teachers can explain this to students and this motivates the students to keep on task and being good digital citizens.

Source:

2 comments:

  1. You are right about curriculum being tight! But teaching internet safety and responsibility is important. It is great that you have ideas to get started. You may find situations come up that will lead to another digital citizenship topic to cover. It's igloos to keep that in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In chemistry, so much of what you deal with is fact. Fact as a general rule is in the public domain. But if there are theories or hypotheses (like the Theory of Evolution or Fermat's Last Theorem--the solution), those are protected and their author's must be cited. I guess you could sidestep into an authentic discussion on digital citizenship in that manner.

    ReplyDelete